Sapodilla (Manilkara zapota), also known as chikoo or naseberry, is a tropical fruit native to Central America, Mexico, and the Caribbean. It has a round or oval shape, and its skin ranges in color from brown to brownish-yellow when ripe. The fruit’s flesh is soft, sweet, and orange in color, and it contains several small, hard seeds. Sapodilla is often eaten fresh or made into jellies, jams, and other sweet spreads. It is high in vitamin C and has a number of potential health benefits, including aiding in digestion and supporting healthy skin. More Fruits
additional things you might find interesting about Chikoo :
- chikoo trees are long-lived and can grow to be quite large, reaching heights of up to 100 feet.
- The fruit has a unique flavor that has been described as a combination of pear, fig, and brown sugar.
- In addition to being eaten fresh, sapodilla can also be used to make beverages, such as smoothies and milkshakes.
- Sapodilla fruit is often used in traditional medicine to treat a variety of ailments, including sore throats and digestive issues.
- The sapodilla tree is an important source of latex, which is used to make a variety of products, including rubber, adhesives, and textiles.
Sapodilla, also known as Sapota (chikoo) is one of the most renowned tropical winter fruit that is loved because of its sweet flavor and a wealth of medicinal and beneficial properties for therapeutic purposes. It is a soft, digestible pulp comprised of natural sugars similar to mango or banana, as well as the jackfruit. The sweet smell of sapota with its delicious brown skin and coarse texture is an irresistible pleasure to enjoy. Its roots are located to Mexico, Easter Guatemala and Central America, the colonisers brought this to Philippines from where it spread across Asia and then made its way to India towards the end of the 19th century.
The country of India, Karnataka is the biggest producer of sapodilla being followed by Maharashtra, Gujarat, Tamil Nadu, Andhra Pradesh and West Bengal. There are a variety of sapota grown in India which are known under funny names like Kali Patli, cricket ball Baramati Pili Patli, Dwarapudi, and Chhatri. It is also known in the form of Chikoo as well as Chiki or Chiki in Hindi, Sapota in Telugu, Chikku in Marathi, cappota in Tamil and Sapeta in Bengali. Sapodilla, nose berry plum, sapote, chikoo are the other names that are commonly used for the delicious fruit.
chikoo is a nutritious fruit that has a number of potential health benefits. Here are a few:
- High in Vitamin C: Sapodilla is a good source of vitamin C, which is an important nutrient for maintaining a healthy immune system.
- May aid in digestion: The fiber content in sapodilla may help to promote healthy digestion and prevent constipation.
- May support healthy skin: The vitamin C in sapodilla may help to protect the skin from damage caused by free radicals, which can lead to premature aging and other skin problems.
- May have anti-inflammatory effects: Some research suggests that the compounds found in sapodilla may have anti-inflammatory properties, which may be helpful in reducing inflammation and associated conditions.