Knol-khol is known by many names in India. It is prevalent throughout Kashmir, West Bengal, Maharashtra, Assam, Uttar Pradesh, Punjab, and certain areas of southern India however it isn’t commercially grown. It is identified by the development of an enlargement (tuber) over the cotyledons, due to an increase in the thickness on the stem tissues. The stem is an extremely fleshy, turnip-like enlargement over the surface. The knob is grown to be eaten by humans in the form of a cooked or raw vegetable. The young leaves are often used in certain areas.
Uses and Benefits of Knol Khol
- Knol-khol is a fantastic sources of diet fiber that has the potential to significantly aid digestion.
- Low in calories. It’s rich in fiber and high in nutrient density.
- Knol-khol is rich in potassium, which makes it a great addition to your diet if need to remain in good shape, active and healthy.
- Knol-calcium khol’s contents enhance the body’s absorption of iron making Knol Knol an all-round cardiovascular and immune system boost.
- Consuming Knol Knol may help in reducing the risk for developing cancer.
- It is extremely high in B-complex vitamins of various kinds that function as cofactors to enzymes in various metabolic functions in our body.
- Knol-knol is noted due to its mineral content. it is particularly high in calcium, copper manganese and potassium as well as iron, and phosphorus.
- This fleshy substance is creamy and is a source of carotene and vitamin A pigments.
- In addition to antioxidants, this is also a source of isothiocyanates and sulphoraphanes. These are both the formation of defensive enzymes within the body.
Specifications for Knol Khol Seeds
||Kohlrabi/Turnip Cabbage/ German turnip/Knol Khol.
||ensure that the potting soil wet
||from 15 to 27,degC
||Prefers soil with pH ranges between 5.5 6.8 – 6.8.
||7 – 21 days
|No. of seeds
Planning and Caring of Knol Khol
Seeds the white Knol Khol Seeds
- Knol knol seeds to be planted 12-inches deep, 1 inch (2.5 centimeters) apart. Thin seedlings that are successful to the spacing between 5 and 8 inches (12-20 cm).
- The rows should be spaced 18-24 inches (45-60 cm) from each other. Seedlings who have been thinned may be moved to other containers in the greenhouse.
- You should wait between four and six weeks before you transplant the plants’ embryos into the soil bed that has been prepared within the grow bags.
Grow Knol Khol
- Seedlings that have 4-5 weeks old , with 4 to 6 leaves and are now ready for transplant.
- Evening transplantation is feasible. After transplantation, irrigation is initiated immediately.
- Water the plants frequently. Keep a constant amount of water in the soil.
Harvesting Knol Khol
- Knobs are harvested by cutting beneath the stem with an emerald blade or sickle until they attain the full size.
- Then they get a more rugged and woody look.
- The demand for knobs with diameters of around 5cm is quite expensive. The root part of the plant is removed and the plants are tied together with the leaves that are tender. It is also sold once both the roots and leaves are removed. The knobs of the early varieties weigh between 200 and 250g The knobs of later varieties can weigh as much as 1kg.
Warnings when growing Khol Khol
Nutrition and water:
Keep a consistent level of moisture in the soil for rapid growth. If there is no water, the knol will turn into woody. The compost that has been aged should be used for preparing beds for planting. Each month, clean the knock knol with older compost. Alternately, feed the your knol knol at least once per month with an organic fertilizer that is balanced or fertiliser for plants that is a starter.
Take care to cultivate the plant to prevent damaging the roots of the soil. When the knol knol plant reaches the height that is between 5 and 4 inches (10-12 cm) It is recommended to mulch with older compost.
The cutworm, the cabbage looper as well as imported cabbageworms can all be a threat to knol knol. Collars should be tightly wrapped around the stems to shield seeds from damage caused by cutworms. Egg clusters must be removed from beneath leaves, and the plants should be cleaned with an diluted soap solution. Cabbage worms are reduced by spraying with bio-based pest control to eliminate bite-inducing insects.
Common Issues that affect Knol Khol Plants and Solutions
When the weather is wet and cold when the temperature is cold, wet, and the Alternaria leaf spot may be a source of concern. Therefore, only seeds that are free of pathogens is recommended for planting; crops should be rotated, as well as fungicides of the right type such as Trichoderma Viride Bio Fertilizer, are recommended to control the disease when it’s in the presence.
Black rot is frequently misunderstood with Fusarium Wilt. It thrives in moist, humid conditions.
However, the seeds develop brown to yellow, with wilted leaves, and then die.
The primary measures to control the virus are keeping the environment clean and planting seeds that are disease-free that are rotated at least every 2 years and avoiding irrigation with sprinklers.
Clubroot causes slow growth and stunted plants. It also causes yellowish leaves that turn brown throughout the day, and then re-grow during the night with twisted, bloated roots; and massive gall formation. It is difficult to distinguish from damage caused by nematodes The fungus may persist in soil for over 10 years. It is transmitted by the movement of soil polluted as well as irrigation water to healthy areas. If the pathogen has established itself in the soil may remain for years which makes removal economically impossible. In general, crop rotation doesn’t provide sufficient control. Plant only seeds that are approved, and avoid field-grown transplants , unless they have been placed in a fumigated soil The soil should be limbed to aid in reducing the sporulation of fungus.
After germination, damping off leaves seedlings dead; brown or black rot covers the stem. The seedling can remain upright, however the stem gets squeezed and twists. The disease manifests in seeds that thrive in cold temperatures. Plant seeds or transplants that are pathogen-free that are grown in soil that has been sterilized; Spray seedlings with TrichodermaViride Bio Fertilizer fungicide to kill any fungi. Plant seeds with a thin layer then wait for the time when the soil gets warmer.
Conditions that are humid and wet favor the appearance of mildew that is downy. After harvest, clean up all debris from the field; rotate with non-brassica varieties Applying fungicides of the appropriate type and bio-pesticides could be required if symptoms of disease are observed.
The dry season high temperatures with low humidity and low levels of rainfall encourage the development of powdery mildew. Plant resistant varieties rotate crops; clear all debris from the crops following harvest; remove weeds; Avoid the application of nitrogen fertilizers in excess which encourages the growth of powdery mildew; powdery mildew is a problem that can be managed with bio pest control dusts or the vapors.
No. of Knol Khol Seeds 100+